I promised you last time that I would share the story of how Andrew and I met. I’ll apologize in advance for the lengthiness…but here it goes.
(pay close attention! There might be a quiz in the foreseen future! HINT HINT at the reception) :)
A co-worker of mine, who I like to call Bradley, decided it was time to play matchmaker. He had originally talked about setting me up with his wife’s co-worker who was new to the area. At the time, I really wasn’t on the lookout for anyone, but I was willing to give it a shot. We talked and had everything figured out. (Although I still thought it was all just a joke) But then I got an email, subject line: Change of Plans which said the following:
“I'm just not feeling like [insert name here] is a good fit for you. I started brainstorming. You are my only early 20's friend. It suddenly dawned on me. It was so obvious. [My wife and I] have been friends with a couple for 26+ years.
Anyway, their son is in his early 20's. His name is Andrew Burkhart. We've known him since he was born. He's a great person…[insert all the good stuff about Andrew here]… I mentioned your name to his mom and she will mention it to Andrew. We're thinking the two of you could become friends on Face Book and get acquainted that way. Take it for what's it worth but he's an awesome person! I can vouch for him 100%.”
Anyway, their son is in his early 20's. His name is Andrew Burkhart. We've known him since he was born. He's a great person…[insert all the good stuff about Andrew here]… I mentioned your name to his mom and she will mention it to Andrew. We're thinking the two of you could become friends on Face Book and get acquainted that way. Take it for what's it worth but he's an awesome person! I can vouch for him 100%.”
I didn’t know what to say. Apparently Bradley was more serious about this than what I thought!! Sure enough a few days later, Andrew and I were friends on Facebook (FB). We started talking through FB chat and slowly but surely got to know each other. We found out a lot of things that we had in common, including both working for the State of Iowa. Believe it or not, this was the only form of communication we had for the first month.
About 3-4 weeks after we started talking, Andrew asked me if I had lunch plans for the following Friday. Of course I said no, and he then proceeded to ask me if I wanted to meet up for lunch at the Noodle Zoo downtown. My heart stopped. I didn’t know what to say! I barely knew him PLUS I had never even seen him in person! It would literally be a “blind date”! For all I knew he was some creepy dude that wanted to attack me!! But believe it or not, I once again said yes J I’m not gonna lie, that lunch was a little awkward, especially when I made a fool of myself [Blonde moment] and accidentally flung my fork up and it hit the window! Leaving, I figured I would never hear from him again! When he started talking to me again on FB, I was stunned! And then when he asked me out for an actual date, I was even more shocked! Apparently he saw something in me, and as the saying goes…the rest is history! :)
The more I got to know Andrew, the more I saw a lot of similarities between him and my dad and brother. I wasn’t sure if that was a good thing or bad?! Obviously you can figure out the answer :)
There are SO many words that could express my feelings over the past 16 months! Nervous. Giddy. Excited. Angry. Scared. Sad. Anxious. Happy. But it has all been SOO worth it! Don’t get me wrong, we have had our ups and downs, but God has been right there with us. And through it all, it has made our relationship so much stronger! I truly believe that God has the perfect timing and has placed us in each-others' lives at JUST the right time. :) It’s hard to believe that in 211 days I’ll be Mrs. Andrew Burkhart! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment